Sensing Italy with Jan Cornall, 2019
WHEN: 25 May, 2019
WHERE: Palazzo Donati, La Marche, Italy
COST: Early Bird AUD $4450.00 plus €250 cash on arrival
For writers and artists
The Create Escape has proudly collaborated with Jan Cornall, Sydney and Luisa Donati of Palazzo Donati to design this exciting creative immersion workshop holiday in Italy for you.
7 nights, 8 days in the village of Mercatello sul Metauro, Pesaro/Urbino, Italy. Immerse yourself in an extraordinary Italian village experience as you learn new ways to bring the senses into your writing and art making. *Take part in cooking and cheese making workshops, visits to nearby historic villages, local printmakers and artisans. Daily creativity workshops will show you how to turn your delicious indulgence into fine art.
- Stay in the historic Palazzo Donati in Mercatello sul Metauro with our host Luisa Donati
- Take part in daily creativity workshops and readings with Jan.
- Get to know the locals and explore this beautiful medieval village at your doorstep.
- Take a cooking workshop.
- Visit local artists in and around our village.
- Explore the Unesco protected town of Urbino and the extraordinary Palazzo Ducale.
- Experience an outstanding banquet dinner or two cooked exclusively for us by local cooks who are passionate about local food, wine, music and good
- Eat truly delicious local food. *This area is a paradise of porcini mushrooms, tarfufi (nero and bianco), strozzapreti pasta (strangle the priest!), cheeses and local wines.
We will be staying in Palazzo Donati in the village of Mercatello sul Metauro in La Marche.
This region is renowned for some of Italy's most delicious food. Think of food gathered from the wild; mushrooms, game, nuts, field herbs and – the area’s
greatest culinary treasure – truffles are an important feature in the Marche. And of course, pecorino cheeses, olive oil and wines.
- You have the option to start a new project, revitalise an old one or simply capture the experience in your chosen art form.
- There will be daily creativity workshops and readings with Jan.
- Time to work on your chosen project and time to explore the local surroundings and visit some artists and artisans who live in the village.
Immerse yourself in an extraordinary Italian village experience as you learn how to employ the senses for your writing and art making.
Participants will be encouraged to keep a creative journal — a daily diary of the senses where they can record encounters with people, places, food
and wine of the region. Every sensual moment will be up for grabs as we learn how to turn our delicious indulgence into fine art.
About Jan Cornall
Based in Sydney, Jan has been awarded a number of grants and fellowships for her work and has written plays, musicals, screenplays, a novel, a collection of stories and poems and three CDs of songs.
Jan also loves to sketch and make artist books.
Browse Jan’s work portfolio here. ... More
With a Master of Arts in Cultural and Creative Practice Jan has taught creative writing for nearly two decades at writer’s centres, community colleges,
universities (UTS, WSU) and writer’s festivals in Australia and Asia. Using a technique she has developed called Meditative Writing, Jan takes writers
deep into their creative source.
Getting to us
ARRIVING & DEPARTING FROM AREZZO
The Palazzo is divided into two parts, full of details and timeless charm, to be discovered climbing the large stone staircase leading to the first floor.
The right wing is instead divided into two additional floors: the first floor consists of two areas used as a kitchen, one modern and the other with a
rustic charm with an antique fireplace, from a formal dining room and two more informal areas, where you can spend pleasant moments in a family environment.
On the upper floor, there are three double bedrooms, all with private bathrooms; the entire right wing is also equipped with central heating.
A village full of fabulous characters and timeless experiences –
Benvenuto nel nostro palazzo di famiglia " - Luisa Donati
EARLY BIRD cost at time of publication (29 October, 2018) is as listed below. EARLY BIRD rate expires on January 1, 2019.We take all major currencies via bank transfers and AUD only via credit card.
The Early Bird costs are outlined below.
Full Rate (Bookings made after January 1, 2019)
Cost at time of publication (29 October, 2018) is as listed below.
Cash on Arrival
We require an additional cash payment of €250, this is to be paid to our host on arrival.
Deposit: 20% of the full listed rate (excluding cash on arrival) is payable at time of booking to secure your place. This can be paid via credit card in AUD or through bank transfer.We take all major currencies via bank transfers.
The Full cost (excluding cash payment on arrival) payable in full 60 days prior to event start.