Singing in Italy with Stuart Davis, 2018
WHEN: 1-12th September, 2018
WHERE: Tuscany, Italy
COST: Early Bird: AUD$3950 + €300 After 1st May '18: AUD $4250 +€300 Book Now
" The only thing better than singing is more singing. " - Ella Fitzgerald
Join us for 12 days of "La Dolce Vita" in Italy. We will be staying 7 nights in one of the best eco-turismo resorts near the city of Siena in charming restored 18th century villas and 4 nights in a beautiful monastery in Florence.
- Rehearsals every day with Stuart Davis - form an instant choir - sing wherever we go.
- Rehearsals and singing with Edoardo Materassi (from Florence) and his choirs in Florence and villages in Tuscany
- Dine on delicious italian food (catering for all diets) in a classic Tuscan setting
- Visit a famous local vineyard in Montalcino. Get a taste of the famous Brunello wines in this district or Grappa if you're feeling so inclined.
- Swim in one of the two glorious pools on the property of Montestigliano
- Pizza, Pizzica and Populalma in the Piazza of Montestigliano
- Visit Siena - flashmob in the famous Piazza del Campo
- Karaoke 'Italian' style with our host Damiano Donati at Montestigliano and dance like no-one is watching!
- Explore the medieval Cyprus tree lined roads through the forest around Montestigliano
- Concert with local choirs in Florence
- Visit the ancient San Miniato al Monte to hear gregorian chants by the monks and follow it with aperitivo in the Piazza Michelangelo overlooking Florence at sunset.
- Flash mob in Florence - outside the Duomo and other iconic places around the city.
- Hear some of the brilliant musicians and singers always busking in the streets of Florence
- Learn a little basic Italian with gesticulation
- Take an option of an Italian traditional cooking class while in Florence
" Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living. " - Miriam Beard
See information below on our choir directors.
Here are some pictures taken at Montestigliano in 2017 of – Edoardo directing; Populalma girls dancing the Tarantella at our Pizza & Pizzica night in the Piazza; plus more of the stunning Montestigliano estate >
About Stuart Davis
Stuart is a singer and choir director, based in Sydney, Australia. He’s been performing and directing community choirs, school choirs and workshops for 25 years. Stuart currently leads 3 choirs and a regular open singing event - The Happening Sing.
“I am indebted to Tony Backhouse and his very influential choir ‘The Cafe of the Gate of Salvation’. It was here that I learned how a choir can be a village in itself - a real community, almost a family. Every choir is unique, and everyone gets something special out of it, but the common things are sheer joy, relaxation and community. It’s very common to hear from members that choir night is the highlight of their week.
In fact many people have trouble sleeping after choir choir they are so wired! The choirs all perform regularly, always raising money for something or other. I believe in what I call ‘Double Happiness’ - do what you love but make sure it has some other positive effect somewhere else.
Between the choirs, over the years, we have raised a lot of money for various causes. I’m a lucky guy - my job gives me immense joy, and I know that every week hundreds of other people are getting a similar dose of happiness. Plus I know there are villages in Africa, New Guinea, India and Vanuatu who have classrooms, wells, toilets and books just because we put on a few concerts.”
About Edoardo Materassi
Edoardo Materassi, guitarist, composer and choir director, has been working in the field of teaching for many years. He has an intense concert activity with over 400 concerts both in Italy and abroad. His compositions have been performed in Italy, France, Germany, Holland. He has collaborated with musicians and actors such as: Vars Music, Faye Nepon, Luca di Volo, Claudia Bombardella, Annamaria Castelli, Alessandro Lanzoni, Giorgio Guiot, Carlo Pavese, Monica Bauco, Ivano Bini, Zeta Archive, Maurizio Maggiani, Ernesto De Martino Institute, Orchestra AgimusArte, Sunrise Orchestra. He collaborates as a teacher with the Cantascuola di Torino association.
He teaches harmony, choral exercises, ensemble music and guitar at numerous schools in the province of Florence. He is artistic director of the School of Music of Calenzano and is a member of the artistic commission of the Cori della Toscana Association.
He directs the choirs: Animae Voces, Mulieris Voces, Sesto in Canto, the choir of the "P. Calamandrei "and the choir of the" Cavalcanti "Inferior Middle Schools of Sesto Fiorentino. With the choirs Animae Voces and Mulieris Voces he has been awarded at various competitions.
Is this event suitable for you?
This event is suitable for shower singers to stage performers. Singers who love to travel and immerse themselves with the locals and their culture!
Other Events with Stuart Davis
- 12 days singing workshop with Stuart Davis and local singers
- 7 nights accommodation at Montestigliano
- 1 Day tour of Tuscany incl. hear exquisite chanting of monks
- 1 afternoon and evening in Siena (busking and exploring and eating)
- 4 nights accommodation in a monastery in Florence
- 12 breakfasts
- 5 lunches at Montestigliano
- 4 dinners (inc. special dinner) at Montestigliano
- Transfers from Siena to Montestigliano and to Florence
- Tour during the week to a village and winery.
- Transport to Siena for an afternoon and evening
What's NOT included
- Return airfares or transport to our meeting place in Siena
- Travel insurance. NOTE that travel insurance is essential.